I began this blog with a dilemma: hating coffee, but, loving coffee shops. And I’ve spent the past one-and-a-half years trying to recreate the sparks of thought, reflection, and creativity that coffee shop ambience inspires within me.
Well now, I’ve found a solution to the first half of my polar quandary. Instead of cups of gourmet coffee with frothy hearts atop their steamy ceilings, I’ve developed a recipe for a Mocha Smoothie.
An all-natural, caffeine-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan alternative that satisfies the taste buds while nourishing the body and soul.
I drink it after workouts; post-yoga; in-between meals when cravings try to sneak in.
So, now I have the drink to sip. I just need the human company. The live conversation. The tangible infusion of the senses that only a brick-and-mortar shop can provide. That’s my next challenge.
For the moment, though, here’s the recipe:
- 7 – 8 ounces of Water
- 20 Raw Almonds + 5 Raw Cashews, soaked overnight and then rinsed
- 1 tsp Maca Powder
- 1 T Cocoa Powder (My favorite is Just Like Sugar Cocoa Mix)
- Handful of Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Scoop of Vegan Protein Powder, Mocha Flavored (My favorite is Vega)
- 1/2 Banana – Frozen, Fresh, or Pureed (Yes, as in baby food! It offers a sumptuous, custardy texture.)
- 8 Frozen Cherries
Place in a single-serving blender in this order. Blend for 30 -45 seconds.