I began this blog with a dilemma: hating coffee, but, loving coffee shops.
I’ve spent the past couple years reflecting upon the thrills and memories that coffee shop ambience sparks within me, and also experimenting with some confections and drinks that my taste buds associate with coffee shop culture.
Last year, I developed a recipe for a Mocha Smoothie that worked well for my caffeine-free lifestyle. This year I have a soul-soothing alternative for anyone seeking a warm, nourishing drink.
For a 12-ounce mug:
- Combine 8 ounces of Rice Milk and 4 ounces of Water in a small saucepan.
- 2 Whole Cloves
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 2 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1″ Piece of Cinnamon Bark
- 1/2″ Piece of Fresh Ginger Root (No need to peel)
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Step 1: Stir together and bring to slow boil over medium heat on range top burner.
Step 2: Once the liquid begins to boil, reduce heat slightly and allow mixture to gently boil for 3 minutes.
Step 3: Cover pan and let sit while placing in the mug:
- 1 Teaspoon Dark Maple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Oil (Udo’s is my favorite)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coffee Liqueur
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chocolate Liqueur
Step 4: Pour liquid from pan through a strainer into the mug.
Step 5: Stir well.
Sip and enjoy on a chilly evening. Or, anytime, really. It’s a drink that warms and relaxes the body, mind and heart.